Our Legacy

new dce
Marshall ISD voters approved a $109,210,000 bond issue in May of 2015 which funds the construction of new schools, renovations and grade level realignment.

With the consolidation of our schools, we think it is important to enter this new era of public education in Marshall while also never forgetting the legacy of our past. The consolidation of schools does not mean we are erasing our history. In fact, we believe these new school buildings can be lasting monuments to the schools, people and events that have served to mold Marshall students since public education began locally before the turn of the 20th century.

It is our desire to incorporate as many memories and monuments into these new facilities as we can from our closing schools. This is not an end, but rather, a new beginning. Marshall ISD has been fortunate to include many hard-working educators who have left a trail for us to follow in serving Marshall’s children in our schools. It is our goal to remember as many of these as possible, along with all of our past school communities, with the opening of our new buildings.

BUILDING A LEGACY does not primarily focus solely on the future of our schools; it is a constant continuation and merging of the past, present AND future. We hope these ideas are not seen as a good-bye to the school communities of our past, but rather a new future built on the hard work and effort of our students, staff and community throughout our history.


CHARLES PEDEN ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES
Mr. Charles Peden returned to his hometown of Marshall in 1966 as a Social Studies teacher at Marshall Junior High. A graduate of East Texas Baptist University and former minister of music and religious education at Baptist church in Fort Worth and Houston, Mr. Peden eventually entered public education and taught Social Studies at Pasadena (TX) High School before coming back home to work in Marshall. After two years at Marshall Junior High, Mr. Peden was promoted to Principal at David Crockett Elementary, where he remains as the longest-tenured campus principal in the history of Crockett at 14 years, from 1968-1982. During that time, he played a key role in the integration of Marshall Public Schools, including merging the students and faculty of Dunbar Elementary School with the Crockett family. In 1982, Mr. Peden was moved over to the new Sam Houston Middle School, where he served as Principal for seven more years until his retirement in 1989.

GENE STINSON LEARNING CENTER
Mr. Gene Stinson served as Principal at Robert E. Lee Elementary School for a quarter-century, from 1971 until his retirement in 1996. Stinson was the longest-serving principal at Robert E. Lee, which first opened its doors to students as North Marshall School in 1887. Mr. Stinson helped develop and carry a tradition of excellence at Robert E. Lee, with a consistently strong faculty, strong PTA and thousands of students who thrived under his leadership for 25 years as a devoted leader of the oldest elementary school in Marshall.

COACH KAREN YOUNG GYMNASIUM
Coach Karen Young joined the faculty at David Crockett Elementary as the school’s Physical Education teacher in 1986. From 1986 until her retirement in May 2016, she served thousands of students who came through Crockett and will always remember her as “Coach Young.” Karen and her husband, Steve, raised two daughters – Erin and Rebecca – both of whom were born and raised in Marshall, attended Crockett and graduated from Marshall High School. Coach Young served students at Crockett for 22 of her 24 total years in Marshall ISD. She also impacted the lives of students at Trinity Episcopal School for one year and at First United Methodist Day School for another five years, giving her 30 years of experience working with children in Marshall. Coach Young retired from MISD in 2016, but says her fondest memories are “all the friendships that were made and have lasted a long time…We are a family here at Crockett, always loving and caring for each other!”

dunbarDUNBAR HALLWAY
Dunbar Elementary School opened for classes February 3, 1941, as a new school in Marshall serving African-American students in grades 1-7. The school was located at 1400 Johnson Street on what is now the Marshall ISD DAEP Center and Marshall High School baseball field and included 14 classrooms and an auditorium. On Thursday, January 30, 1941, exactly one year to the day of the official groundbreaking for the school, Mr. E.N. Dennard, Marshall City Schools Superintendent, gave the order for students and faculty to move into the new building. The task of moving from Hillside Elementary School to Dunbar was done on Friday, January 31, 1941, without dismissing school for a single day thanks to the work of teachers, students and Mr. Earl Rhodes, Supervisor of Buildings and Grounds. Classes began in the new school the following Monday. Professor J.H. Moore served as the school’s principal until his retirement following the 1947-48 school year. After his retirement, Mr. Travis Downs was named principal after working as a teacher under Professor Moore in Marshall for 12 years. On Sunday, January 30, 1949, a fire completely destroyed all 14 classrooms with only the auditorium left standing. The remaining structure was divided into four classrooms for seventh and eighth grades, and grades one through six were moved to the Sunday School department at Galilee Baptist Church. The task of rebuilding the school began in March of 1949 and was completed in August of 1949, with an additional two classrooms and a kitchen added to the building. Under the administration of Superintendent V.H. Hackney, the testing program was instituted, the curriculum was extended to include a teacher for exceptional children, and a special music teacher for all grades was added. Mr. Downs served as principal at Dunbar from 1948 until 1970, when the school closed during integration and faculty and students were transferred to David Crockett Elementary. The school was torn down when construction work began on the site for Marshall High School following passage of a bond issue in 1976.

east end sam houstonEAST END HALLWAY
East End School opened on September 25, 1905, at a cost of $19,793 and was renamed Sam Houston Elementary School for the legendary Texas hero in the early 1920s. Serving students on the east side of town, it was a high school only until the 1906-07 school year, during which grades 9-12 were moved temporarily to the Masonic Institute. On September 23, 1907, East End opened to serving students in grades 1-8. Due to the growing population in east Marshall during the early 1950s, the Board of Education and Superintendent realized that Sam Houston (East End) School could no longer serve the demand exclusively. In August of 1953, Dr. and Mrs. Thomas B. Bailey donated 8.89 acres of land for a school, provided that the building be completed by August 1958. The Board accepted this donation and construction began in 1954 on the present site of David Crockett Elementary. The doors of David Crockett Elementary opened for classes in September of 1955, to 204 students, 10 teachers and a principal. The Sam Houston namesake was transferred to the former Marshall Junior High, which was opened in 1964 on East Border Street, when MISD reorganized under court order in 1981. At that time, the old East End/Sam Houston Elementary was closed. On October 12, 1981, the school board accepted a bid for the vacant building. In 1997, MISD once again gained ownership of the school in a court settlement, but returned it to private ownership in 2004.

relROBERT E. LEE HALLWAY
Robert E. Lee Elementary, being the oldest school in Marshall, was the first with several innovations. Among these were the first PTA, organized in 1906; the first school gymnasium; the first drinking fountain for students and the first piano. Beginning with MISD's reorganization in 1981, Robert E. Lee Elementary served students in grades K-4 until the 2016-2017 school year, when the school was closed and consolidated into the new David Crockett Elementary as part of the MISD Legacy 2017 building program.

sam houston east endSAM HOUSTON HALLWAY
The original Sam Houston Middle School opened in September 1964 to serve students in grades 7-8 and was originally named Marshall Junior High School. The facility was constructed out of funds made available in a $4.6 million bond issue in 1962. The school's namesake, Sam Houston Elementary, had opened on East Houston Street as East End School on September 25, 1905. It was renamed after the legendary Texas hero in the early 1920s. It was a high school only until the 1906-07 school year, during which grades 9-12 were moved temporarily to the Masonic Institute. On September 23, 1907, East End opened to students in grades 1-8. An auditorium was added in 1925, the inside was improved in 1939-40, the auditorium was converted to a cafetorium in 1951 and the building was re-roofed in 1954. Growth in population on Marshall’s east side in the 1950s made it necessary to add another school to that part of town. David Crockett Elementary opened in 1954 to help ease the overcrowding at Sam Houston. When MISD reorganized in 1981 under court order, the eighth-grade campus became one of two new middle schools for fifth and sixth graders. The old Sam Houston Elementary School closed that year, and the newly organized middle school assumed the name. On October 12, 1981, the MISD Board of Trustees accepted a bid for the vacant building. In 1997, MISD once again gained ownership of the school in court settlement, however; but on April 5, 2004, the building returned to private ownership. Since 1981, Sam Houston Middle School has served students in grades 5-6 along with the district's other middle school, Price T. Young. The site of Price T. Young was used for construction of a new elementary school, Price T. Young Elementary, in the Legacy 2017 building program. The old middle school building was demolished upon completion of that project. The Sam Houston Middle School facility was renovated to serve as a new Sam Houston Elementary.

LEGACY



Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.