East End Hallway

east endEast End School opened on September 25, 1905, at a cost of $19,793 and was renamed Sam Houston Elementary School for the legendary Texas hero in the early 1920s. Serving students on the east side of town, it was a high school only until the 1906-07 school year, during which grades 9-12 were moved temporarily to the Masonic Institute. On September 23, 1907, East End opened to serving students in grades 1-8.

Due to the growing population in east Marshall during the early 1950s, the Board of Education and Superintendent realized that Sam Houston (East End) School could no longer serve the demand exclusively. In August of 1953, Dr. and Mrs. Thomas B. Bailey donated 8.89 acres of land for a school, provided that the building be completed by August 1958. The Board accepted this donation and construction began in 1954 on the present site of David Crockett Elementary. The doors of David Crockett Elementary opened for classes in September of 1955, to 204 students, 10 teachers and a principal.

The Sam Houston namesake was transferred to the former Marshall Junior High, which was opened in 1964 on East Border Street, when MISD reorganized under court order in 1981. At that time, the old East End/Sam Houston Elementary was closed. On October 12, 1981, the school board accepted a bid for the vacant building. In 1997, MISD once again gained ownership of the school in a court settlement, but returned it to private ownership in 2004.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.