WELCOME!

dce
David Crockett
Elementary School

700 Jasper Drive
Marshall, TX 75672
903-927-8880
903-927-8885 (fax)
 

Welcome to David Crockett Elementary School! We are so excited to begin the 2017-2018 school year in our new facility, with our new school community! Please feel free to visit us and see what we are doing to help make Marshall ISD "Marshall Proud and Maverick Strong!"

Campus Improvement Plan
Student Code of Conduct
District Academic Calendar
Online Lunch Payments
Family Access Portal

 

upcoming events

No events available.

school MENUS

PARENTS: Click here to manage your child's school lunch account online!

MONDAY, OCTOBER 16
Breakfast: Breakfast Pizza; Cereal; Toast. Lunch: Sweet and Sour Chicken; Steak Fingers; Rice; Glazed Carrots; Pinto Beans; Applesauce.
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 17
Breakfast: Chicken Biscuit; Cereal; Toast. Lunch: Oven Fried Chicken; Country Fried Steak; Mashed Potatoes with Gravy and Roll; Blackeye Peas; Pineapple Tidbits.
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 18
Breakfast: French Toast; Links; Cereal; Toast. Lunch: Chicken Nuggets; Turkey and Cheese Sandwich; Green Beans; Potato Wedges; Peaches.
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 19
Breakfast: Sausage Biscuit; Cereal; Toast. Lunch: Crispitos; Chicken Fajitas; Refried Beans; Corn; Mandarin Oranges.
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 20
Breakfast: Eggstravaganza; Toast; Cereal; Toast. Lunch: Pizza; Rib Sandwich; Oven Fries; Butter Beans; Pears.

*Download the entire monthly menu for Marshall ISD here.



CAMPUS REPORT

fitzpatrickANGELA
FITZPATRICK
Oct. 16, 2017
Welcome to another productive week at David Crockett!

We had a wonderful ETBU Fall Festival on Tuesday, Oct. 10. Thanks to all who participated and helped make it a rousing success!...Congratulations to Joel Patterson, DC 5th grader, who won "The Music of Pixar" Art Contest sponsored by the Marshall Symphony Orchestra...Crockett's Mrs. Sereca Henderson has been selected by Region 7 ESC to be a volunteer leader in the "Write for Texas" state program...Our beginning-of-year assessments have been completed and we are completing our first common assessments this week...Our students created posters for the Mavericks football locker room as encouragement to give it their all...PLCs have been very informative and hands-on for our teachers...We are looking forward to Red Ribbon Week next week at Crockett, and our Story Book Parade will be on Oct. 31...Our Crockett Book Fair was amazing! Thanks to all for helping make it so outstanding this year.

crockett
David "Davy" Crockett
 was a frontiersman, legendary folk hero and three-time Congressman. He fought in the War of 1812 and died at the Alamo in the Texas Revolution. Born August 17, 1786, in Green County, Tennessee, he was the fifth of nine children born to parents John and Rebecca Hawkins Crockett. Crockett's father taught him to shoot a rifle when he was just 8 years old. As a youngster, he eagerly accompanied his older brothers on hunting trips. But, when he turned 13, his father insisted that he enroll in school. After only a few days of attendance, Crockett fought the class bully and was afraid to go back lest he face punishment or revenge. Instead, he ran away from home and spent more than two years wandering while honing his skills as a woodsman. At just a day shy of 20, Crockett married Mary Finley. The two would have two sons and a daughter before Mary died. Crockett then wed Elizabeth Patton, with the couple having two children. In 1813, after the War of 1812 broke out, Crockett signed up to be a scout in the militia under Major John Gibson. Stationed in Winchester, Tennessee, Crockett joined a mission to seek revenge for the Creek Indians' earlier attack on Fort Mims, Alabama. In November of that year, the militia massacred the Indians' town of Tallushatchee, Alabama. When Crockett's enlistment period for the Creek Indian War was up, he reenlisted, this time as a third sergeant under Captain John Cowan. Crockett was discharged as a fourth sergeant in 1815 and went home to his family in Tennessee. Having returned home, Crockett became a member of the Tennessee State House of Representatives from 1821 to 1823. In 1825, he ran for the 19th U.S. Congress, but lost. Running as a Jacksonian candidate in 1826, Crockett earned a seat in the 20th Congress. In March of 1829, he changed his political stance to anti-Jacksonian and was reelected to the 21st Congress, though he failed to garner a seat in the 22nd Congress. He was, however, elected to the 23rd Congress in 1833. Crockett's stint in Congress concluded in 1835, after his run for reelection to the 24th Congress ended in defeat. During his political career, Crockett developed a reputation as a frontiersman that, while at times exaggerated, elevated him to folk legend status. While Crockett was indeed a skilled woodsman, his notability as a Herculean, rebellious, sharpshooting, tale-spinning and larger-than-life woodsman was at least partially a product of his efforts to package himself and win votes during his political campaigns. The strategy proved largely effective; his fame helped him defeat the incumbent candidate in his 1833 bid for reelection to Congress. After Crockett lost the 1835 congressional election, he grew disillusioned with politics and decided to join the fight in the Texas War of Independence. On March 6, 1836, he was believed to be killed at the Battle of the Alamo in San Antonio, Texas.

DCE: BUILDING A LEGACY

new dce
old dce
Front entrance of the old David Crockett school
DAVID CROCKETT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
The new David Crockett Elementary School opened in August of 2017 as one of three new elementary schools and a renovated facility to serve Marshall ISD students in grades K-5. The project was part of the Legacy 2017 building program born out of the passage of a $109,200,000.00 bond issue approved by MISD voters in May 2015. Huckabee, Inc., served as the architect for the Legacy 2017 building program, with Sedalco serving as the general contractor for DCE Elementary. Project Manager for the Legacy 2017 building program was Lockwood, Andrews & Newnam, Inc. (LAN), of Houston, Texas. The new school was constructed on the site of the old David Crockett Elementary, which was closed following the 2016-2017 school year with the old building set to be demolished after the opening of the new school.

The original school had its beginning in early 1952, when Marshall's school board and citizens began to realize that Sam Houston Elementary School could no longer serve the growing population in the east part of town. After careful study, the present site was selected. In August 1953, Dr. and Mrs. Thomas B. Bailey donated 8.89 acres of land for a school, provided that the building be completed by August 1958, and that city water service be extended to include the Jasper Heights area. A bid was accepted in September 1954, and construction began shortly thereafter. The doors of David Crockett School opened for classes in September 1955, to 204 students, 10 teachers and the principal. The original school had 12 classrooms, library, cafetorium, clinic, teacher's lounge and office. Three additions were made to the original building. In 1968, the south wing was extended to include six additional classrooms.

Dunbar Elementary School was closed in 1970, and its students and faculty were transferred to join the Crockett school as part of desegregation in Marshall schools. In 1972, the north wing of the original building was extended to include seven classrooms and two restrooms. The entire building was completely air-conditioned during the 1980-81 school year and, in the fall of 1987, a new library, 10 classrooms, special education room, computer room, teacher workroom, storeroom and office complex were added. A gymnasium separate from the main building opened in January 1993. With MISD's reorganization in 1981, Crockett began serving students in grades K-4 until the 2016-2017 school year, when the old school was closed to open the new Legacy 2017 facility.

relROBERT E. LEE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
North Marshall School, the first school on the north side of town, opened on September 3, 1887, as a one-teacher school in a two-room frame structure on Summit Street. The school was moved to a small building across the street from the old Summit Church during the 1889-90 term. In the summer of 1890, the first structure erected in Marshall for a free, state-supported school was built -- a one-room house in the 800 block of Summit Street. The school continued to grow until four grades were taught in 1894. In June 1895, the East and North Marshall schools were consolidated, and a three-room schoolhouse was built at the corner of Beauregard and Lee streets near the Texas and Pacific shops. The building was destroyed by fire, however, in February 1900.

The school was then housed in the old Leach residence, located at the corner of Texas and Summit streets, until a new brick building for grades 1-6 opened for classes November 9, 1902, on Calloway Street. The school was known as North Marshall School until 1925, when it was renamed for the Confederate general, Robert E. Lee. The first remodeling of the original brick building occurred during the 1938-39 school year. A new wing with a cafeteria, auditorium, principal's office and teacher's lounge was ready for use in late 1950. Remodeling of the old auditorium provided two additional classrooms in 1951. The northwest adjoining lot was purchased for use as a playground in 1953. A central library was ready for use in September 1960. The two-story, 14-room section of the present building was constructed adjacent to the cafeteria wing in 1968, and the old building was torn down. In June 1961, the boundaries of the Lee and Van Zandt Elementary school zones were dissolved and as a result, Lee was known for about three years as Lee-Van Zandt. Van Zandt school was renovated in 1968 for use as administrative offices, and the original part of the building was razed in 1981. The cafeteria addition was later traded to East Texas Baptist University for land in east Marshall, and is now serving as ETBU's Band Hall. 

Robert E. Lee Elementary, being the oldest school in Marshall, was the first with several innovations. Among these were the first PTA, organized in 1906; the first school gymnasium; the first drinking fountain for students and the first piano. Beginning with MISD's reorganization in 1981, Robert E. Lee Elementary served students in grades K-4 until the 2016-2017 school year, when the school was closed and consolidated into the new David Crockett Elementary as part of the MISD Legacy 2017 building program.

See more of our Areas of Legacy commemorated in our new David Crockett Elementary School here.

legacy

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.